Embracing the mindset of our host city, we’ve casted a new perspective on how we’re producing NAB Show New York. We’re looking at every aspect of the show, big and small, for ways to reduce our environmental footprint. See what we have planned and how our partners are getting in on the action.
What We’re Doing
- Eliminating 12,000 linear feet of aisle carpet => Reducing 5.2 tons of carbon emissions from trucking and keeping 2.5 miles of tape out of the landfill
- Using 100% recyclable cardboard signs
- Offering lanyard and literature recycling
- Using water urns rather than single-use water bottles, when possible
- Using linenless tables, when food isn’t present
- Introducing paperless registration check-in thru Apple Wallet
What our Partners are Doing
- #ONENYC - New York City is the most sustainable big city in the world and is committed to leading by reducing greenhouse gases 80% by 2050.
- Jacob K. Javits Convention Center has achieved LEED Silver Certification.
- Freeman has committed to a goal of Zero Waste that is reflected in its standard procedures and suite of sustainable products and services offered to its customers.
- Cultivated, Javits Center’s new dining and hospitality team, leverages local resources, including homegrown coffee made just for Javits by a local roaster, a sustainable beer brewing program, and straw-free service.
- Experient, our registration partner, switched from monitors to iPads, which has reduced their shipment weight by approximately 1,370 pounds.
What You Can Do
- Book a hotel nearby and hit your steps goal – Choose a hotel within walking distance of the convention center to reduce emissions from other modes of transportation.
- Take the subway – Over 90% of transportation-related GHG emissions come from on-road vehicles. Luckily, NYC is home to the most extensive public transportation system in the country - and the opening of the new 7 Subway line extension across the street makes the trip even more convenient. Check out your options.
- Bring a water bottle – Javits Center installed new water bottle filling stations. Bring a reusable water bottle from home rather than purchasing single-use plastic water bottles => Reduce waste and save some money!
- Add your registration confirmation to Apple Wallet – When you receive your ‘know-before-you-go’ email confirmation, add it to your Apple Wallet so you don’t have to print a copy. Onsite kiosks will be enabled to scan from your iPhone.
- Green your stay – To save energy, water and resources, take advantage of your hotel’s linen reuse initiatives, take brief showers instead of baths (play your favorite 4-minute song to keep time), decline newspaper delivery and request a paperless bill. Before you leave your room, turn off all lights and adjust your thermostat and blinds.
- Think before you throw – The Javits Center recently installed new recycling bins, so let’s all use them!
- Recycle your lanyard and literature – Before you leave, make sure to drop your lanyard and literature, such as the show guide, in one of our recycling bins, as these items need to be specially recycled.
- Offset your travel – Make a tax-deductible donation to offset your carbon footprint thru The Good Traveler, powered by The Rocky Mountain Institute. All local airports are partners!
What Exhibitors Can Do
We’ve asked our exhibitors to join in the effort by making sustainable choices when designing their booth, properly recycling materials during move-in and out, and participating in the JavitsCares donation program, among other things. Learn more about exhibitor sustainability initiatives.